Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pound Cake


I used to bake a fabulous pound cake, then I got Celiac and couldn't have gluten. I tried one gluten free version and it was a total flop. Both literally and figuratively.

But the other day I found a gluten free pound cake recipe on the Land O Lakes website of all places. I just had to try it.

Here is my trusty assitant chef, Doodlebug. Ready for action. He is the chief supervisor of mixing. (He really likes the Kitchen Aid.)




Of course, I had to make a couple of substitions.

The first one was almond extract for the vanilla extract. I just like the taste better.

The second was in place of the 4th egg I used 2 T of cornstarch. I didn't realize that I only had 3 eggs until I was well into the recipe.

I use the recipe for Jules Nearly Normal Flour mix as my flour mix which you can find here.

Here is the modified recipe I used.

2 cups sugar
1 cup melted butter
3 eggs
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 teaspoons gluten-free almond extract
3 cups Jules Nearly Normal Flour mix *
2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
1 cup milk

*Jules Nearly Normal Flour Mix

For the basic flour mix
• 1 cup white rice flour
• 1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
• 1 cup cornstarch
• 1/2 cup corn flour
• 1/2 cup tapioca flour or tapioca starch
• 4 teaspoons xanthan gum


Heat oven to 350°F. Combine sugar and melted butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cornstarch and beat well. Add vanilla; beat until well mixed.

Stir together flour mix and baking powder in small bowl. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk to butter mixture, beating at low speed until well mixed.

Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt® or 10-inch angel food cake (tube) pan. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan.

Cut. Eat. Enjoy. Repeat.








No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google Analytics Alternative